Military Divorce Lawyer in San Diego, CA
For military officers, getting divorced involves more complications than it does for civilians. From protecting your pension to making sure you will be able to participate in your children’s upbringing, nearly every aspect of your military life – and every aspect of your divorce – requires thorough consideration and a measured approach.
Experienced Lawyer for Military Divorces
Attorney Richard Renkin focuses a significant portion of his divorce practice on representing military officers in San Diego County. He is intimately familiar with the unique issues involved in military divorces, and he uses his experience, knowledge, and insights to help each client effectively pursue a favorable result in his or her divorce. Contact us now to schedule a confidential consultation with Richard Renkin.
Preparing for Your Divorce While Stationed in San Diego
When preparing for a divorce as a member of the military, one of the first questions that comes up is where you need to file. As a general rule, you must file for divorce in the state and county where you are considered “domiciled.” However, the rules regarding domicile are complex, and you need to make sure that the court where you file has jurisdiction over your spouse as well.
We represent military officers who are stationed at the following San Diego-area bases and who are stationed overseas but are considered “domiciled” in San Diego County:
- Marine Corps Air Station Miramar
- Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton
- Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego
- Naval Base Coronado (Naval Air Station North Island and the Naval Amphibious Base Coronado)
- Naval Base Point Loma
- Naval Base San Diego
- U.S. Coast Guard Station San Diego
If you are not sure where to file, we can help you choose the appropriate court to initiate your divorce.
Handling Complex Issues in Your Military Divorce
Along with domicile issues, as a military officer, you will face many other important questions during your divorce as well. Attorney Richard Renkin can help you answer questions including, but not limited to:
- What happens to my military pension and retirement benefits if I file for divorce?
- Should I maintain my Uniformed Services Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) election?
- Can I get custody of my children if I am an active-duty officer in the military?
- How will the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) help me protect my rights during my divorce?
- Can my spouse’s lawyer use my deployment against me?
- Will my children still have access to Tricare?
- How is child support calculated for active-duty military personnel?
What If I am Retired?
If you are a retired military officer, one of the most important issues for you (and your spouse) will be understanding how your retirement benefits will get divided during your divorce. For divorce purposes, retirement pay is treated similarly to other types of income. This means that it will generally qualify as community property that is subject to division along with your other assets, and it can come into play in determining any child support and alimony payments as well.
Richard Renkin has extensive experience with property division under California law, and he can help you craft a strategy designed to protect your retirement pay and other assets as much as possible.
Can’t a JAG Lawyer Help Me?
While JAG offers free legal services to active-duty military officers, these services are limited, and most JAG lawyers are not familiar with the complexities of the divorce laws in California or any other particular state. Your divorce is a serious matter that will affect your life – and your children’s lives – for years to come. As a result, and to make sure that you are protecting yourself as much as possible, it is generally best to hire a local attorney who focuses exclusively on divorces and other family law matters.
Why Choose the Law Office of Renkin & Associates?
There are several law firms that handle divorces in San Diego. So, why choose the Law Office of Renkin & Associates?
- Experienced Divorce Attorney – Richard Renkin has been handling divorces in San Diego, CA since 1991. He is also among the limited number of Certified Family Law Specialists practicing in San Diego County.
- Commitment to Divorce Representation – Unlike other firms, we focus exclusively on representing clients in complex divorces and other family law matters.
- Focus on Representing Military Officers – We have dedicated ourselves to understanding the laws that affect military personnel. We know the issues at play, and we know how to help you protect what matters most.
Schedule a Confidential Consultation with a Military Divorce Attorney in San Diego, CA
If you are a military officer and are considering filing for divorce (or if you think your spouse may be preparing to file), contact the Law Office of Renkin & Associates in San Diego, CA for a confidential consultation. Richard Renkin will meet with you personally to discuss the unique circumstances of your case. To get started, call (888) 837-3564 or request your consultation online now.
Photo via Flickr by Naval Surface Warriors