Meet Richard M. Renkin – Family Divorce Attorney and Certified Family Law Specialist
Richard M. Renkin has been assisting clients in the San Diego area with family law matters since 1991. He focuses his practice on representing business owners, attorneys, doctors, engineers, scientists, and other professionals and high-net-worth individuals in all matters relating to marriage, divorce, and same-sex civil unions.
Richard is well-versed in negotiating, mediating, and litigating agreements and conflicts relating to marriages and civil unions. His personal attentiveness and legal acumen make him a trusted advisor and powerful advocate for clients who are serious about protecting their assets and enforcing their legal rights.
What it Means to be a Certified Family Law Specialist
Richard M. Renkin is a Certified Family Law Specialist. He received his certification from the California Board of Legal Specialization in 2005.
The grueling certification process ensures that only the lawyers who have significant experience and intimate knowledge of California family law become recognized by the Board. In order to become a Certified Family Law Specialist, a lawyer must: (i) demonstrate significant, recent experience in the field of family law, (ii) satisfy intensive educational requirements (beyond law school, (iii) pass a written exam, (iv) receive favorable recommendations from his or her peers in the legal community, and (v) successfully represent himself or herself in front of a panel of family law experts.
Certification requires real-world practice experience in all of the following areas:
- Restraining orders and domestic violence cases
- Divorce (dissolution of marriage), legal separation, and annulments
- Child custody
- Child support
- Spousal support
- Support modifications
- Division of community property
- Confirmation of separate property
- Tax issues relating to divorces under California law
- Contempt and enforcement matters
- Mediation and negotiation of family law disputes
- Psychological and counseling aspects of divorce
California law also requires Certified Family Law Specialists to meet continuing education requirements in order to retain their certification. Board certification is a serious matter, and it reflects a serious commitment to providing truly top-notch representation within a focused area of the law.
Awards & Press
The AV Preeminent Judicial Award is considered the highest possible distinction that can be given to an attorney. Richard’s earning it showcases his commitment to the ethical practice of law and his devotion to his clients.
Listen to Attorney Richard Renkin on the Inside The law with Vince Scuncio radio show found on ESPN 1700 Thursdays.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Along with his certification as a Family Law Specialist, Richard holds the following professional memberships and affiliations as well:
- Family Law Section of the San Diego County Bar Association – Member
- Family Law Section of the State Bar of California – Member (1987 to present)
- Lawyers Referral and Information Service Provider, Family and Commercial Law Panels – Member
- San Diego County Bar Association Executive Board, Certified Family Law Specialists Committee – Member
- San Diego Subcommittee of FLEXCOM, Family Law Section Executive Committee – Member
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California – Admitted to Practice (1987 to present)
How Richard Can Help You
Richard represents clients who find themselves in all stages of dealing with family law matters. From planning for marriage to modifying rights or obligations following a divorce, when you choose to work with Renkin & Associates, Richard will be by your side every step of the way. Our FAQs provide a wealth of information for people who are beginning to look for answers. Click to learn more about what Richard can do to help you with:
- Planning for marriage
- Planning for divorce
- Going through a divorce or legal separation
- Custody rights and child support
- Spousal support (commonly known as “alimony”)
- Division of community and separate property
When you are ready to get started, Richard will be ready to take your call.
Beyond the Law
Of course, Richard is much more than just a San Diego family lawyer. He is also an active member of his community, and he is equally well-known in local circles for his legal practice and his community service. Richard’s contributions to the local San Diego community include:
- Settlement Conference Judge Pro Tem for Superior Courts Downtown, East County, North County and South Bay
- San Diego Downtown Host Lions Club
- o President (2010-2011)
- o Member, Board of Directors and Board of Trustees (Present)
- University Club – Member
- Board of Directors for Kid’s Turn – Member (2010 – 2013)
- Fundraising for Hannah’s House and Kids’ Turn
- San Carlos Little League
- o Umpire (2001 – Present)
- o Umpire–in-Chief (2005 season)
- San Diego Referral Exchange – Past President and Member of Board of Directors, (1994 – 2005)
- Tifereth Israel Synagogue – Member
- Congregation Beth Israel Men’s Club – President (1996-1997)
- Congregation Beth Israel Board of Directors – Member (1996-1997)
- San Diego Nice Guys Member
Richard was also named as a finalist for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Man of the Year in 2014. Watch to learn more about Richard’s story:
Contact San Diego Family Law Attorney Richard M. Renkin
If you live in the San Diego area and have serious questions about filing for divorce or another family law matter, Richard M. Renkin is here to help. Let Richard put his experience and dedication to work for you. To get in touch, contact the Law Office of Renkin & Associates online or call 619-299-7100 today.